News of the American Academy of Pediatrics’ approval of a new provisional Section on Complementary, Holistic and Integrative Medicine is traveling fast.
Word of the new section affectionately known as CHIM popped up in the Great Triad (NC) Business Journal, thanks to Section Chair Kathi Kemper’s fame. Dr. Kemper, author of The Holistic Pediatrician, holds one of the nation’s only endowed Chairs in Holistic and Integrative Medicine (at Wake Forest). I am honored to be working with Kathi as a founding steering committee member, and as the CME Director.
The AAP News also published a small notice as well in its recent “For Your Information” column (see below).
AAP News Vol. 26 No. 7 July 2005, p. 25
© 2005 American Academy of Pediatrics
New provisional section
AAP Fellows and members are invited to join the Academy’s new Provisional Section on Complementary, Holistic and Integrative Medicine. Affiliate memberships also are available to members of a recognized health profession who are designated by their professional association.
The provisional section was launched to support the mission of the Academy by:
• promoting policies to enhance patient-centered care;
• integrating evidence-based, safe and effective complementary therapies into high-quality pediatric practice;
• educating clinicians and families;
• promoting research on commonly used complementary therapies;
• advocating for appropriate payment for safe and effective services; and
• collaborating with diverse health professionals dedicated to enhancing the health of infants, children and adolescents.
AAP Periodic Survey #49 showed that respondents recognized patients’ frequent use of complementary/alternative therapies and expressed a strong interest in education on these topics, especially herbs, dietary supplements, special diets and exercise.
Steering committee members of the new provisional section are Kathi J. Kemper, M.D., M.P.H., FAAP (section chair); Burris (Duke) Duncan, M.D., FAAP; Larry Rosen, M.D., FAAP; Sunita Vohra, M.D., FAAP; Richard Walls, M.D., FAAP; and Joy Weydert, M.D., FAAP.
For details, contact Junelle Speller, AAP Department of Practice and Research, at (800) 433-9016, ext. 7650, or firstname.lastname@example.org.